Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cub Scouts


Gavin has been enthusiastic about cub scouts. He started right into it the day he turned 8 and I haven't had to do to much motivation to get him to finish getting his Wolf. Within 2 months he had memorized the cub scout law and oath and got his Bobcat. They did a really neat ceremony about the story of Mowgli and about the colors that are represented in scouts and their significance, hence the paint on the face.

Next he moved on to his Wolf. He only had one achievement left to finish in May, but we were going to be gone the night of pack meeting and also in June, so we postponed it until July. Then we realized that my parents would be back East at the Boy Scout National Jamboree, so I stalled some more. Little did I know that that last achievement would be the hardest one of all. He had to keep track of his healthy habits for 2 weeks. He HATED doing it and wouldn't. I finally convinced him to get going toward the end of August, but he missed pack meeting by 2 days. However, he had continually worked on other things all summer long. He earned a bunch of activity patches, and 4 belt loops. He also worked on more electives, so he can get his gold and silver arrows.

Augusts pack meeting we go to do a rain-gutter regatta. Neither Phil or myself had ever done one of these before. We let Gavin go to town on his boat, paint and decorations all done by him. Most of the boys had never done this either, so the races were pretty good. He had fun and has some "new" ideas for the next round.


In September, he finally finished his last achievement and earned his Wolf. He also worked extra hard and earned 51 arrow points. That is 1 gold and 4 silver arrows. I know we are not supposed to be prideful people, but I really am proud of him and how hard he worked to get all of that done. Are only problem now is, he doesn't think he needs to go Scouts anymore. I told him he was crazy and he has to go so he can earn his 100 year patch. He only has one more thing to get that and it requires him to go to scouts. We still have lots of patches and belt loops and pins to earn, so I doubt this will be the last post regarding our Wolf year of Cub Scouts.


No comments: